For years as a Christian and preacher of the Gospel I’ve asked many people the question, “Do you know what the Gospel is?” I’ve received a variety of answers but only few have ever described what the Bible actually says the Gospel actually is. Of course the Gospel is a good message according to the Greek text, But!!!
· euaggelion (yoo-ang-ghel'-ee-on); a good message, i.e. the gospel:
To reveal the Gospel it’s necessary to use the Old Testament, the four Gospels, and New Testament Epistles to form a better basis.
In Saint Mark’s account of Jesus, before the ascension to heaven an instruction from Jesus was given to the disciples to preach the Gospel…Mark . After the death of Christ the New Testament defines the Gospel as the power of God unto salvation…Romans 1:16. The Apostle Paul said he was separated by the Gospel of God…Romans 1:1 so… Why is the Gospel so important? How does Scripture interpret what the Gospel is? Why did Jesus instruct us to preach the Gospel?
Jesus preached the first Gospel sermon to the disciples as recorded by Saint Luke.
· Luke 24:44-47…These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name
Note how the Gospel message itself would minister repentance and remission of sins to an unbelieving world in the name of Christ.
Jesus opened the Scriptures and helped the disciples to understand the truth about him written and concealed in the Holy Scriptures of the Old Testament. The Scriptures were the Law of Moses (which contained the first five books of the Bible), the Prophets, and the Psalms. Jesus revealed and confirmed to the disciples the truth about him by using the Holy Scripture. When preached to a lost world this great truth is the true and only Gospel message.
In the same account only recorded by Saint Mark notice how the Gospel was to be conveyed through preaching… where it was to be carried to…and the power of salvation it offered.
· Mark -16…And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved
Mark declares that the power of the Gospel in Salvation and Baptism are one in the same. The Spirits baptism which comes from receiving the Gospel puts the believer into the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. All three members of the Godhead make their spiritual abode within one body which is the body of Christ, the church.
· Matt 28:19…Go therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
· 1 Cor …For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentile
Saint Matthew’s account of the Gospel is phrased slightly different than Mark and Luke’s account. All three accounts focus on how the power of the Gospel (baptizes) or puts man into one body through… repentance, remission of sins, and Salvation by the Divine power of the Godhead. Men are called to God through this Gospel message.
· 2 Thess 2:14…Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.